Saturday, January 1, 2011

Two Days of Training!!

My run yesterday with the two dog team went great as far as the dogs are concerned. It was -16c outside and my hands were not happy with me. I need to figure out a better system of keeping my hands warm.

When you are sledding your hands stay pretty still similiar to snow mobiling. It is hard to keep them warm. The rest of your body you can warm up by running beside or in unfortunate times after your sled.

The dogs as I said were awesome. They love to run. Since I only have two dogs pulling and wanted to keep it fun, most of my trail was flat and downhill. I completed my run in ten minutes.

Ty took the dogs out this morning (it's -18c way to cold for me) and had a lot of fun. He did almost the same run and also completed it in ten minutes. He took one spill. Some of the trail has been washed out after the crazy amount of rain we had this summer. There is a ravine about two to three feet deep that you have to navigate. The trail has also been washed away so it's mostly creek bed - read rocky. Anyway, he was trying to stay on the high side of the ravine and leaned a bit to far, over corrected, and down he went. It wasn't a big deal he got right back up and kept on going. One thing that's good about it being so cold is you don't feel much seeing as you're numb.

His hands were a bit cold when he got back so he had to jump in the car and warm them up. But all in all it was a great run. An amazing way to start a day!

On another note I am still waiting in high anticipation to hear if I will have two more dogs to run for the Elkford race. With out two more dogs I can't compete. And that will make me very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment